Library Events Officer
Hampshire Library Service are recruiting for a proactive and organised Events Officer with responsibility for programming events across a range of locations in central Hampshire including the prestigious Winchester Discovery Centre.
- You will be responsible for planning and delivering high value events, courses and workshops to meet the core objectives of the library service. You will need a creative mind, as you will be responsible for looking for new opportunities to promote and extend the library offer.
- When planning events you will be responsible for financial planning and forecasting to assess their feasibility. All events will need evaluating to inform future planning decisions. You'll also be responsible for ensuring ticketing and marketing activities are carried out to ensure that your programmed events sell.
- Joint working is important to the library service and you will need your strong networking skills to connect us with event and workshop providers, festival organisers, tutors, businesses and attractions.
- Working as a part of a county wide business development and events team, you will have expertise to call on, and will also contribute to county wide campaigns and initiatives. You'll work closely with Library management to shape programmes of events, decide on staffing requirements and work to increase the number of volunteer supported events. You'll need to communicate the requirements of your programme and share your enthusiasm and skills to events staff and other colleagues. At times you will act as duty manager for our venues. As part of your role, you will manage the licensing of venues and ensure that all licensing conditions are met.
- You'll need a working knowledge of audio-visual technology to assist colleagues and support events when required. You will ideally be a Qualified First Aider, but training will be provided if you are not qualified.
- You will work core business hours, but will be expected to support large and important events outside of these, taking time off in lieu.
- Plan and deliver 3 seasons of events, courses and workshops a year at Winchester Discovery, with the aim of producing income and increasing footfall to the building. Working with colleagues to produce a seasonal brochure to promote these events.
- In association with partner organisations and in response to the business plan, research and assess the suitability of events for the Libraries target markets, then plan, negotiate, book, deliver and evaluate the libraries events programme.
- Ensure the timely and effective administration and execution of performers and other contracts associated with the events programme, including using financial planners to evaluate the cost of all events.
- Support the management of booking and ticketing systems/processes.
- Support the management of facilities, technical/front of house services, catering arrangements and sales functions associated with the running of events to maximise income generation and ensure safe and smooth running of the programme.
- Support the delivery of service wide campaigns.
- GCSE Maths and English or equivalent
- Experience of performance and workshop programming in a cultural organisation
- Experience of working in a customer focussed service or organisation
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven IT skills e.g. able to use Microsoft Office software (Including a good knowledge of Excel).
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage competing and changing demands.
- Excellent organisation and time management skills (with proven experience of delivering to tight deadlines).
- Ability to work in a team based across multiple sites
- Ability to prioritise and deal with ad hoc problems or challenges
- Ability to work within a governance framework.
- Ability to support, motivate and enthuse others to deliver events
- Ability to build excellent rapports with both internal and external customers.
- Qualified First Aider (Desirable)
- Ability to use technical equipment (e.g. interactive white boards / overhead projectors) (Desirable)
- Interested and enthusiastic about a wide range of cultural activities and performances (Desirable)
- You would have the opportunity to join the local government pension scheme, and be entitled to 24 days annual leave per annum plus bank holidays.
- In addition, there is a wider benefits package at Hampshire County Council that includes flexible working hours and family friendly policies.