Animal and Conservation Volunteering Placements
Pod Volunteer is an award winning non-profit organisation arranging ethical, inspiring and supported volunteering opportunities around the world since 2001.
Volunteering specialist - We are focused exclusively on overseas volunteering, it’s all we do and what we are passionate about.
Responsible volunteering approach - we are driven by the needs of the projects we support. We only offer sustainable volunteering projects that have lasting and positive impact on the local community.
Hand-picked projects - independently selected and continuously assessed projects. We have developed long term relationships with a carefully balanced set of projects and visit all our projects regularly.
Expert team - our friendly team has a wealth of overseas volunteering and travel experience. We have all volunteered overseas and pride ourselves on our project and location knowledge.
Awards and Accreditation – demonstrate how we have been recognised and accredited. Support through the volunteering journey - from helping you to prepare for volunteering and travelling overseas, to providing 24/7 back up while you are away, we are here to support you.
Structured to minimise costs and maximise benefits - as a non-profit organisation with associated charity, we can keep costs down for volunteers and maximise financial donations for the projects. Pod Volunteer supports the projects through the Personal Overseas Development Charity (UK charity number 1139629).
We are looking for volunteers to join our projects for one week plus to support the following projects:
- Elephant care and conservation
- Marine and reef conservation
- Horse rehabilitation
- Jungle research
- Wildlife rescue
- Dog and cat rescue
- Wildlife centre
- African wildlife conservation
You can be working on your chosen project in one of the following countries:
- Costa Rica
- South Africa
- Passion in conservation research, ecology or marine biology
- Interested in working with animals or studying a role such as Zoology or Animal Management
- Enthusiastic and passionate about their chosen project
- Be fit and healthy in order to carry out the role
- Must be 18 years or over to join most projects, unless joining a project with a friend, parent or guardian over 18 years old
- We run special lead volunteer placements for 16 and 17 year old volunteers each year
- Specific qualifications or experience not essential as relevant training will be offered whilst at the project
- Does not matter if you do not have any previous diving experience as beginner divers receive specific and relevant dive training during their first week
Please note this opportunity is unpaid and it is for students who undertake compulsory placements as part of their course. Southampton Solent University does not endorse unpaid opportunities outside of the curriculum. However, should you decide to take on this position you need to consider your financial situation and consider how you would support yourself for the duration of the experience. With overseas placements or internships it is worth noting that some companies may charge additional fees and should be thoroughly researched before committing. If you have any questions about this opportunity please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
Southampton Solent University has a limited funding scheme to support students on unpaid work experience or placement opportunities@ https://portal.solent.ac.uk/support/finance/student-funding/unpaid-placement-work-experience-grant.aspx