Junior Designer (Cosmopolitan)
To play a key role in supporting the Cosmopolitan art department by designing excellent pages from concept to final printed pages, by creating extra elements as and when required by the business and by generally supporting the Creative Director and Art Director.
To work alongside the picture department in helping with picture research. The successful applicant will become skilled in researching specific pages and assist the Picture Director and Picture Editor when needed.
- Working with the Creative Director and the art team to ensure a high standard of design is maintained.
- Designing regular pages and features.
- Marking up pages to be sent to press and repro.
- Checking colour proofs, ensuring pages are of an excellent standard and any corrections or instructions have been actioned when requested. Supporting the art team with general administrative tasks.
- Supporting the picture desk when required.
- Picture research on a number of specific regular pages.
- Attending shoots where necessary.
- Attend art and picture meetings and generate exciting ideas for layout of features and regular pages.
- Commission illustrations, when appropriate and after approval from Creative Director.
- Assist the advertising and promotions team with requests for their clients eg dummy layouts.
- To work with industry-standard toolsets to complete your work, as well as work within the prescribed processes of the structured workflow systems used to create editorial content.
- Design for digital, events and brand marketing as necessary.
- You will be required to undertake commercial editorial work as and when requested by the company.
- Proven experience of Adobe Creative Suite, including retouching skills.
- Ability to work effectively to meet deadlines.
- Ability to build close working relationships with the entire team.
- Enthusiasm and endless supply of new ideas.
- A passionate approach to work.
- The ability to think creatively.
- The ability to take instruction and to develop their skill set.
- A strong eye for detail.
- The ability to be self-motivated.
- The ability to think outside the box.
- Some experience designing on a publication in the consumer magazine market is preferred but not essential.