Air Quality Champions
We are working with Southampton City Council and Global Action Plan (GAP) to recruit and train volunteer Air Quality Champions in Southampton. Would you like to join us?
We hope that this will be an exciting opportunity for you to get involved with your local community, gain some experience for your CV and help us reduce air pollution in the city.
- The first campaign for Air Quality Champions will be no-idling events taking place across Southampton in February and March
- The initial commitment is one training session (approx. 1 hour) and one no-idling event (approx. 2 hours)
- You can volunteer for more no-idling events and get involved with future campaigns if you wish
- You will work in pairs as part of a team, supported by the Environment Centre (tEC) and Southampton City Council staff
- Events will be in pre-arranged locations such as on the high street or outside a school where idling and air pollution have been an issue
- Our approach is to invite drivers to join our campaign and switch off their engines when stationary
- Many drivers do not realise that idling is bad for air pollution, and may believe some common idling myths, so you will be equipped with myth-busting information and how to respond to drivers reasons for idling
- When approached in a friendly and non-judgemental way, we find that over 80% of drivers switch off when asked by volunteers, and many pledge to give up the idling habit for good
- Free training, where you will learn about air pollution and health, and how idling cars contribute to local air pollution
- Develop your communication skills
- Practice in engaging with the public and completing surveys
- Fully trained in approaching and chatting to drivers in a friendly, informative and non-judgmental way to persuade them of the benefits of not idling
We can then let you know about upcoming dates for no-idling training and events. Further details on our website: www.environmentcentre.com/AQCs and the Southampton City Council website: www.southampton.gov.uk/No-idling.