Fundraising Coordinator, Placement
In order to fund its work Access Sport raises around £1.2m each year from a variety of sources including corporate partners such as BT and SEGA, strategic partners such as Sport England, and through high profile events such as our annual dinner ‘A Question of Access Sport’ (this year attended by sporting personalities such as cricketer James Anderson) and L’Etape London, a major cycling sportive for 3,000 riders. We also have a growing community fundraising income stream supported by our new website and underpinned by our growing social media activity.
The Fundraising Coordinator will work in support of all the fundraising and marketing activities and act as the central coordination point for the fundraising and marketing team, as well as liaising closely with our club development and delivery teams. The Coordinator will be responsible for a wide range of tasks including project management, volunteer management, corporate partnership support, finance, social media and event management.
The Fundraising Coordinator will also have the opportunity to project manage Access Sport’s involvement in the L’Etape London cycle sportive, working on marketing through to participant communication through to running our tent at the end village and managing the event budget.
We are a small but highly ambitious team, each of whom is an expert in their specialist area and led by Julian Barrell, formerly Director of Fundraising for The Prince’s Trust. This is a fantastic opportunity to not only have a tremendous social impact by helping fund the provision of sport to thousands of deprived children and young people, but also to gain significant fundraising, marketing and events expertise learning from some of the very best and most experienced individuals in the UK’s charity fundraising sector.
- Project Management of Access Sport’s involvement in L’Etape London, a key London cycling sportive with 3,000 annual participants of whom up to 100 will be raising funds for Access Sport; includes liaising with corporate partners of Access Sport who enter teams and fundraise for us
- Communicating with community fundraisers and other event participants who have chosen to fundraise for Access Sport and managing our presence on external websites such as RunforCharity
- Managing monthly income reports for the above – includes monitoring & reconciling transaction reports via our JustGiving & Virgin Money Giving charity accounts to our bank statements, working with our finance team
- Thanking donors and supporters and preparing thank you letters and communications to major supporters
- Building our database with supporter information and supporting key regular communications such as electronic newsletters
- Supporting the Director of Fundraising in liaising with our sporting ambassadors and identifying potential new ambassadors and helping liaise with their agents
- Supporting the management of our corporate partnerships, e.g. project managing involvement from groups of corporate volunteers
- Supporting the project management for our annual gala dinner A Question of Access Sport, attended each year by 300 senior business people and a number of sporting celebrities – liaison with our professional event management company that project manages event logistics, support Fundraising Director with table sales and other important tasks
- Communications - helping keep our website up to date and contributing to our social media activity especially Twitter and Linkedin
- In order to work effectively in a changing environment, flexibility is required from the post-holder.
- Any other tasks that may be requested will be at the same level of responsibility and terms and conditions of employment.
- The post-holder must be prepared to travel throughout London and the UK when needed, and work varying hours (including evenings and weekends) in accordance with the demands of clubs and events.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders
- Strong relationship building – ability to create meaningful partnerships with donors, funders and colleagues
- Strong organisational skills
- Computer literate (especially Microsoft Office including a good command of Excel)
- Demonstrable problem solving skills
- Desire to work in any or all of fundraising/marketing/sales/event management/customer relationship management – OR general desire to work in charity/non-profit sector and gain an understanding of how charities are funded
- Experience in project management, working towards specific targets and meeting deadlines essential
- Experience of working in an office environment desirable
- Knowledge of community sport and youth development infrastructure and landscape is desirable
- Entrepreneurial and creative approach to work
- Passion for helping young people and communities through sport
- Ability to act in a professional and reliable manner as an ambassador for Access Sport
- Self-starter with excellent time management skills
- Ability to work flexible hours (including evening/weekend work at partner clubs and events)
- Desire to work in a small team and willing to “muck-in” when needed
- The post-holder will be required to complete an enhanced DBS disclosure
Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com or for further information please call 020 7993 9883. Applicants are encouraged to apply early. Once the role is filled we will be unable to accept any further applications.
Please note this opportunity is unpaid and it is for students who undertake compulsory placements as part of their course. Southampton Solent University does not endorse unpaid opportunities outside of the curriculum. However, should you decide to take on this position you need to consider your financial situation and consider how you would support yourself for the duration of the experience. With overseas placements or internships it is worth noting that some companies may charge additional fees and should be thoroughly researched before committing. If you have any questions about this opportunity please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
Southampton Solent University has a limited funding scheme to support students on unpaid work experience or placement opportunities@ https://portal.solent.ac.uk/support/finance/student-funding/unpaid-placement-work-experience-grant.aspx