Scientist II - Analytical
To design, plan and deliver robust technical solutions to analytical problems applying best technical practice and assuring the fitness for purpose of all scientific deliverables. To ensure that analytical studies are delivered and reported in compliance with agreed technical and quality standards. To support the technical development of analytical scientists, ensuring they have the the skills and scientific capability necessary to deliver the appropriate service. To lead technical interactions with project teams, strategic suppliers and research partners, including the review of outsourced research.
- Provides analytical science lead in scoping and technical discussions with project team members, giving appropriate scientific guidance and evaluating technical requirements.
- Provides scientific supervision to scientists and technicians in the conduct of their work, including review of study plans, data and reports.
- Leads peers in the identification, analysis and resolution of scientific problems. Communicates scientific issues and proposals for their resolution to senior scientists, stakeholders and project teams. Escalates unresolved technical issues to next level of scientific management.
- Monitors the scientific integrity of studies and projects, keeping stakeholders and management informed. Identifies and investigates departures from science plan or agreed technical standards, proposing appropriate remedial actions.
- Leads the training and technical/professional development of scientific staff to ensure that they have the necessary knowledge and practical capability to deliver to the required standard and to continue in their development.
- Leads the structured evaluation of technologies to support proposals for strategic capability development, including preparation of business case and co-ordination with other GR&D functions (e.g. Commercial Manager).
- Engages pro-actively with internal and external scientific peers to develop best technical practice, to identify opportunities for collaborative research and to communicate results of research, including peer review publications.
- Provides appropriate information into Strategic and Operational planning process
- Understands, promotes and applies their responsibilities under the EH&S policy.
- Budget – provides information into forecast, plan & track of revenue and capex. Adheres to financial processes and guides less experienced colleagues in adhering to these processes.
- Provides appropriate leadership, coaching, development and technical governance to ensure that all scientists within ADC always deliver scientific output of appropriate integrity.
- Provides scientific input to talent development pipeline.
- Integrated member of R&D project teams and cross-functional teams in order to provide expert input on analytical science and expert evaluation of resulting scientific data.
- Lead participant in reports and other publications, named author on collaborative
- Leads peers in scientific / technical problem analysis and resolution
- Professional/academic achievement in Chemistry or a related physical science at Masters, MPhil or PhD level. Active membership of the Royal Society of Chemistry at MRSC level (preferably at CChem level) and evidence of pro-active continuing professional development.
- Relevant technical experience resulting in thorough knowledge and application of best technical practice, analytical method development and validation using complex instrumental analysis techniques (including GC/MS, GC/MS/MS, HPLC/MS, HPLC/MS/MS, ICP/MS) with associated high level problem solving skills.
- Evidence of maintenance of current technical awareness and knowledge of all relevant aspects of analytical science and technology.
- Strong record of communication of research, including peer reviewed publications.
- Evidence of competency in the effective application of formal and informal management, project and business tools and processes.
- Demonstrable leadership skills, including evidence of effective change management and the development of others
- Experience of working in an ISO accredited and/or GLP compliant laboratory is preferred.
- Good communication/leadership skills. (Desirable)
- Demonstrated people development skills (Desirable)