Innovation Development Team Lead
The Innovation Development Centre comprises approximately 35 staff and provides key support to GR&D through the manufacture of samples/prototypes; physical & analytical testing; the planning & scheduling of these services and the control of tobacco on-site (in compliance with HMRC License conditions).
Ensuring we continue to have the right Organisational Capabilities (People/Process/Technology) to manufacture samples is critical to the Product Development process, and to the launch of innovation to market, at speed and at scale.
- Supporting the development & deployment of consumer relevant innovation to market, at speed and at scale:
- Provide support to the IDC, and other OneR&D stakeholders, at all stages of the Product Development Life-cycle; working with key stakeholders in the development and implementation of innovative, cross-category, technology solutions, building and enhancing development capability and capacity; results/performance orientated, embed a culture of Continuous Improvement, applying appropriate methodologies (e.g. IWS/CI/L6S); support the development through mentoring & coaching of technical resources in the IDC and across OneR&D; establishing & sharing of Best Practice across Global Pilot Plant footprint; maintain a safe and healthy work place environment.
- Embed a culture of Continuous Improvement (focus on technology and business processes) through the application of appropriate methodologies (e.g. IWS/CI/L6S);
- Lead motivate and develop their team, ensuring planned output requirements/quality standards are met whilst, ensuring all H&S guidelines are followed;
- Performance Management: agree and implement measures and targets (KPIs); monitor and control performance (inc. corrective actions), report on progress (e.g. Quality; OTIF);
- Accurately complete all required documentation and comply with appropriate business processes (e.g. Stock Management; BRC, ISO and any product specific quality standards);
- Ensure regular communication/briefing to provide the team with the relevant information to carry out their duties to maximum effect;
- Oversee the sample manufacturing process – ensure all work is effectively scheduled - technical resources and material availability;
- Ensure effective planning, organisation, operation and installation of all new processes and equipment, to enhance capability and maximise capacity;
- Carry out Site Safety inspections and audits and supply to H&S committee for action;
- Lead/Support problem solving activities by assisting in analysis & resolution of problems; able to define; determine and ensure implementation of appropriate corrective actions;
- Plans the long-term workload for projects through the application of formal project management principles ensuring the availability of necessary technical resource and technology platforms;
- Review team performance regularly to identify areas for improvement, and encourage progress of individual team members through performance review, and developing and delivering agreed personal development plans;
- Understands, promotes and applies their responsibilities under the EH&S policy;
- Budget – forecast, plan & track spend. Adheres to financial process and controls.
- Lead by example, influence all Team Members and ensure they are fully motivated and engaged.
- Instigates and leads internal meetings with key stakeholders to ensure technical capabilities are clearly understood.
- Active members of Project Teams in identifying and presenting for review, appropriate technical solutions;
- Train & mentor Team Members to achieve high quality in working practices and processes;
- Diploma or other equivalent qualification in a technology field such as Engineering or equivalent; Bachelor’s degree preferable;
- Relevant technical experience resulting in a thorough knowledge of concepts, principles, methods, processes or techniques of innovation development and/or manufacturing;
- Active awareness of technical developments in innovation development / manufacturing;
- Effective communicator - able to engage effectively at all levels, with a flexible communication style which can be adapted to suit the audience;
- Problem-solver - tenacious and will use creativity, innovation and an analytical approach to exhaust all options until a satisfactory solution is found.
- Decisive - confident in making difficult decisions, balancing the analysis of data with personal judgement and taking into account the wider business ramifications and commercial context.
- Flexibility when working unsociable hours in support of meeting program targets and maintain a flexible approach to working hours as you may be required to work shifts or support other areas of production;
- An ability to act under pressure with calmness, clarity of thought;
- Taking receipt of guidance and instruction from multiple leadership direction.
- Effective engagement with Project Teams, through the Product Development Lifecycle;
- Manufacture of samples as per agreed timelines and quality standards;
- Timely communication with Project Development Teams where technical challenges, impacting agreed sample specification and timelines, have been identified;
- Successful development and implementation of new or improved existing technologies / processes / methodologies – Continuous Improvement;
- Promotes autonomy within the team, has a flexible approach, and encourages an ethos of managing upwards;
- Initiator or key representative in interactions with internal stakeholders and cross functional / cross category teams;
- Initiator or key representative in interactions with external stakeholders & technology service providers;
- Participation in industry forums & working groups, as appropriate;
- Supervision to other colleagues as required, ensuring project delivery & providing coaching to any direct reports.